How do I choose a candle fragrance?
When choosing a fragrance, we like to pick something nostalgic, whether it's the smell of a memorable holiday, your favourite notes from a loved one’s perfume or a clean fragrance like Eucalyptus or Linen to refresh the home. With every order, we include three scented wax melts, so you have a chance to invoke your scenes more than once.
How are you sustainable?
We have six ways to get eco-friendly products to you:
- We use 100% Natural Soy Wax, which is extracted from soybeans that are naturally and sustainably farmed in many countries around the world. Our wicks are 100% cotton and soy wax coated, free from any metallic or harmful chemicals.
- Our candles are hand-poured with love in small batches, and with every purchase we contribute $1 to the regeneration of Australian bushfire-affected native bushland.
- Our packaging box is recycled, which we would love for you to reuse, or you could dispose them in your cardboard recycling bin. We also encourage you to reuse your candle jars too! We will soon be offering scented wax refills for every jar size we sell, or for you to reuse your own jars / pots / mugs / tins at home.
- Our shipping bags are purchased from HEROPACKS, which are made from home-compostable materials, mainly corn starch and PBAT (a compostable ingredient which bonds the renewable ingredients together). You can learn more about how to decompose your mailing bags here.
- We try to use Sendle as our courier partner, Australia's first 100% carbon neutral shipping service, however, they may not deliver to all locations, in which case we use AusPost or Couriers Please.
- We bank with Bank Australia, a bank that has been carbon neutral since 2011 and who also consider the environmental impacts of products including offsetting the carbon emissions associated with every customer car loan. Bank Australia does not invest in fossil fuels, live animal export, gambling, arms industry or tobacco. Instead, they use their money to help create positive impact for people, their communities and the planet.
What is the difference between soy and paraffin wax?
Many candle makers choose to use paraffin wax to cut costs. Paraffin is a soft colourless solid derived from petroleum, coal or shale oil that consists of a mixture of hydrocarbon molecules containing between twenty and forty carbon atoms.
In 2009, a study by South Carolina State University found that burning paraffin wax candles give off harmful fumes (toluene and benzene) which is linked to asthma and lung cancer. Soy candles, in the same research, were not found to emit toxic chemicals.
Soy wax candles have a lower melting point, which makes it last 35% to 50% longer than paraffin wax candles, which also means that you don’t have to buy soy candles as often. Because soy wax candles burn cleaner, the scents from its oils are more pleasant and aromatic.
Main Bay uses only 100% Natural Soy Wax as it is the safest for your family, pets and yourself, and the most sustainable wax on the market.
How do you price your candles?
We are a small business in Sydney, Australia and we pour every single candle by hand. All our ingredients are free of harmful chemicals like paraffin, and we use a minimum of 8% to 10% fragrance in each of our candles, which is well above industry standards. Using a higher quantity of fragrance means you don't even need to burn your candle to benefit from the aroma.
Our wicks are made of natural Soy cotton coated with Soy Wax, combined with 100% Soy Wax this means our candles burn longer and cleaner. We package every candle carefully in beautiful recyclable boxes. We pride ourselves on offering an eco-friendly boxed candles and we hope you also appreciate the love and care we put into our products.
FREE shipping for orders over $80 within Australia only.
We expect delayed delivery times during December due to Christmas traffic.
All orders are processed within 1 to 2 business days after you receive your order confirmation email. You will receive another notification when your order has been shipped. Please note shipping times may vary based on your location and shipping rates are calculated at checkout.
If your order is being delivered to NSW, VIC or ACT, expect it to take 2 to 4 business days. If it is being delivered to NZ, SA, WA, NT, QLD or TAS, expect it to take 4 to 9 days.
Shipping charges for your order will be calculated and displayed at checkout.
If we haven't answered any of your questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org